CATEGORIES


Book Review - Our Home by C.E. Sargent

Our Home, by C. E. Sargent

Our Home Vol I & II was written to help parents become what they should be. All aspects of home life are covered, with examples and ideas of how to establish the kind of home the Lord expects of us. This book is about the sanctity of family and family life. Discusses time-honored virtues and values only found within the family circle. Deals with raising and educating children.



Eric Wilson’s Review: I struggled with this month’s review, do I have to like it or be willing to pass this book on to a friend? After consideration I deemed I do not have to “love” every book I read nor am I the final arbitrator of a classic so…. There were some good parts but also some less good parts to borderline ridiculous. This book was recommended by Glenn Beck, Dr. Brooks, and DeMille, all whom I respect and trust their opinions. That said there is a whole lot of great nuggets of principles, values, virtues, and helpful foundational thinking for family and the life education of children. That said there are also other parts that I would question but understand the author included. Over all thought it was not well written, the author’s perspective is from a college aged kid, with neither children nor experience, at the dawn of the first turning with a clear artist archetype (if you don’t understand the last statement read the Forth Turning by Howe and Straus). To a middle aged father of three, Calvinist, and nomad archetype at the leading edge of the forth turning I just could not connect with this book fully. I said all of that to say this, read it for yourself with a discerning mind. There is a lot of great information you can glean and people a lot smarter than me that recommend this book.

Find this and other books in our recommended reading list: Click here