CATEGORIES


How do We Change the Culture We Live In? (Part 4) How does the Foundation Influence Your Decisions?

Posted by Jenn Jones on July 28, 2013

view previous How do We Change the Culture We Live In

My last post discussed how the foundational knowledge and undertstanding that we have influences our thinking. Today I want to talk about how that thinking, which is based on our belief system and worldview, influences our choices and decisions we make.
One point I want to make – if you look at this diagram, you will notice how the foundation is set up so that it holds up the load of all of the other factors of life. It is sturdy and broad enough to withstand. It is not shifting or soft. Because of that – everything else that follows, everything that it influences can be just and strong and durable.

So I mentioned yesterday how our belief system – the lens from which we view the world around us – permeates our thoughts and how we process information. In turn, our thoughts then determine the decisions and choices we make for our lives. To build on the example I used in my last post, if I understand the sanctity and right to life from a biblical and founding worldview – then when I hear or see news relating to the abortion industry or legislation that is being debated on either placing restrictions on or easing restrictions on abortion, my thoughts automatically focus into how wrong abortion is. In addition to my thoughts being aligned with my worldview, my decisions follow suit. Meaning that I decide that abortion is wrong and should be done away with.
(Obviously this concept applies to more than just abortion. I use it as an example because of everything going on in Texas right now on the issue.)
If my worldview was based on what the media says, what others are telling me, or simply on my own life experience – it is shaky ground. It is relative and too much is left to interpretation. My thoughts would align with whatever was more comfortable and the decisions that come from those thoughts would be the same. I cannot stress it enough – the truth does not change. Just has God Himself doesn’t change – because He is Truth. It is only natural that our own life experiences will have an influence on our thoughts and decisions. My point is that if we have a strong worldview, based on the truth, then we are able to be more objective when it comes time to make those decisions and choices.
A lot of people, when they want to make a change in their life, will start at this stage. They decide they will start making better choices for themselves and how they live their life. But if they haven’t started at the ground level – building that foundation of truth – the changes they attempt to make will not be lasting. Once again, it is a bottom up process, not top down.
So what are you doing to strengthen your foundation? Have you ever tried making a change by focusing on one of the other areas first? I would love to hear from anyone who is reading this. There are times when I write these posts and wonder if I am the only one who feels or thinks this way. Share your thoughts